Origins of Hawkwind

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Mon Jul 25 10:40:52 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 04:56 -0400, Rik Rx wrote:
> Curious that Dave has been 'written out' of this version :-}
>
> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 19:20:31 -0400, Stephe <lindas1 at ADELPHIA.NET> wrote:
>
> >Hi Folks. I copied this from the Spaceritual.net website. May be of
> interest to those who think they are total crap. Cheers Stephe
> >
> >The start of early Hawkwind/Group X from the eyes and ears of Mick
> Slattery, guitarist back then at the dawn of Hawkwind and now guitarist in
> spaceritual.net.
[...]
> We hadn't come up with a
> couple of numbers either, so we decided to just have a jam around a couple
> of chords (probably the only ones we knew). Actually it was the intro to
> Eight Miles High and then some very long solos and Dik-Mik twiddling with
> his generator and Nik honking up a storm and me and Dave getting our
> guitars to feed-back the way we'd seen Hendrix do it, and Terry thrashing
> his drumkit to within an inch of its life, while the strobes and liquid
> light show added to the air of chaos and insanity.

Which "Dave" is that (getting his guitar to feed back the way he'd seen
Hendrix do it)---Dave Anderson?  If so, I thought he didn't join until
later (and played bass).

Of course, there's always the very remote possibility that it might be
Dave Brock getting a mention here. :-)

The impression I got from reading the two recent Hawkwind biographies
(by Abrahams and Clerk) is that Dave was somewhat reluctant to commit
full-time to Hawkwind in the very early days, and it's only when it
seemed like it was going places that he jumped aboard fully and
subsequently assumed the role in which we see him today.  (I highly
recommend those biographies, even if they do make rather depressing
reading---especially the Clerk book.)

Cheers,

Paul.
e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu