RE: OT: The Devil's Rejects

nick at THECOMPLETESHEET.COM nick at THECOMPLETESHEET.COM
Tue Jul 26 21:08:15 EDT 2005

It's quite brutal, with very little comic relief, save for Sid Haig, returning as Captain Spaulding from "House of 1000 Corpses".  There's an especially funny scene with the three "Devil's Rejects" getting on each other's nerves on a road trip.

It really depends on what you like.  The movie isn't really gory, per se, but very bloody and intense.  It also feels a bit more "serious" than its predecessor.  Any and all reference to the supernatural is gone.

It's loaded with horror and B-movie veterans in lesser parts, like Ken Foree of "Dawn of the Dead", PJ Soles of "Halloween" and "Rock and Roll High School" fame, porn star Ginger Lynn and EG Daly, who was Pee Wee's girlfriend Dottie in "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" and does the voice of Tommy Pickles in the "Rugrats" cartoon.  She plays a whore.

Leslie Easterbrook, Michael Berryman, Priscilla Barnes. . . (--formerly of Three's Company, I actually didn't recognize her until I saw her name in the credits). . . Debra Van Valkenberg, Steve Railsback, Mary Woronov and William Forsythe are some other recognizable names.

Lots of '70s rock in the soundtrack and, thankfully, no metal.  (--Nothing kills a horror movie quicker than a thrash soundtrack, IMHO).  Great finale played to "Freebird".

If you liked "HOuse of 1,000 Corpses", I can't see you not liking this one.  It definitely has that same '70s-era horror feel to it.

Whether they're good movies or bad, they're definitely interesting and provocative.  And extremely well shot, I think.

But I'm no expert.  ;)

--Nick