HW: Stonehenge and other English reminiscences

Jill Strobridge jill.strobridge at BLUEYONDER.CO.UK
Thu Jun 16 18:24:43 EDT 2005

No specific Hawkwind connection but some might be interested -
British Archaeology magazine have a summer special on Stonehenge in
their July/August publication.   It includes:    a history of the
Druidic celebrations at Stonehenge over the last 100 years - an
assessment of Richard Sorrell's reconstruction illustrations - a
short but detailed retelling of the Battle of the Beanfield with
some intensely dramatic photographs.   The article's academic
exactness and eye-witness accounts makes it seem more like a
retelling of the Battle of Naseby or Bannockburn but its sparse
style creates a vivid and highly effective description of the
events.    There are also articles on the proposed future
landscaping of the site and where the bluestones came from.
It'll be available on the web eventually www.britarch.ac.uk/ba
but for now you might be able to get hold of a copy in a good
magazine shop or from a library with a regular subscription.

cheers
jill

PS:  Hawkwind at Sheffield, Nottingham and Croydon were excellent,
though Sheffield was too small and at Croydon I was a bit too far
back.   However I returned to Edinburgh with yet another dose of
cold/flu (southern English version this time).    However hello to
everyone I met down south and apologies to Merrick and Julie for
not staying with them - I'm afraid my godson took priority on this
occasion - but it was good to see you!