OFF: Dream Theater

Brad Dahl dahl at WIRELESSBEEHIVE.COM
Sat Jun 18 02:48:58 EDT 2005

> Anyone tried the new DT album yet? How is it? I was a bit disappointed by
> their last few CD's, so I'm not sure if I want to buy this...

I haven't heard this one yet.  I like DT, but their stuff is a bit one
dimentional for me and I don't find myself listening to it very often.

> How about LaBrie's solo effort? Is that any good? How does it compare to
> the MullMuzzler albums? (I loved those!)

It is a lot, and I mean A LOT heavier than the Mullmuzzler stuff (and I
like the Mullmuzzler albums).  It is much more guitar oriented, guitar
leads instead of the synth leads that Mullmuzzler was drenched with.
Everyone who plays on it is at the top of their game. Great sounding album
too.  A nice variety of songs as well, mostly heavy and a couple softer
tunes.  I usually don't go for the mellow tunes but one of the softer ones
is my favorite song on the album.  It is track 9 (can't remember the
name).  I highly recommend picking up this disc.

Another disc I just got that rocks severly is Soul Sirkus (Neal Schon's
new band).  Jeff Scott Soto handles the vocals with Marco Mendoza and
Virgil Donato handling bass and drums.  These guys are really good.  Great
songs and I have kept it in my truck for weeks now.

Brad