Philip Dick

Drill drill.0010.1011.1100 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 30 16:00:13 EDT 2005

I heard Screamers too was based on a book of his? Haven't seen that or
verified this. Blade Runner, WOW. That movie will never lose its edge.
How did they make the scenery so well I cant quite recall but they
probably used fiber optic cable or similar (IN 1979) to illuminate all
the windows in the miniature buildings. Each window the same light
intensity. You give those digital graphic artists too much leeway and
you have the ridiculous light sabers in starwars3 or whatever one is
out.
I went to see that and in all truth I swear I picked up a subliminal
message near the beginning that no one making the movie even knew
about. It made me blank out the whole movie and I was dreaming up
details and continuos segments of a Space Moose movie. In addition to
thousands of other developments. A CUE snapped me back to normal about
10 minutes from the end of the starwars movie and I was the only one
to walk out early, because it sucked. I noticed they tried to have
continuity with the equally terrible first starwars movie*. RReal
clever the same stupid wipes between scenes- you know that's just
idiocy becasuse a committee made a decision probably over that and had
REASONS for it. (*come on look at the dialogue in the script, you have
a planet blowing up in a smoky gasoline explosion, an so on)
Liked epsiode one, liked the description I heard several minutes
before deciding to watch this instead of HHGTTG (THAT TEXT BASED VIDEO
GAME IS INGENIOUS, RIP Douglas Adams) of this star wars one being all
darkened, the death star coming into play, expansion of the mythos on
the dark side, the good old days. But it was like a soap opera and
purported the same values as the alien invaders in They Live.

On 6/30/05, Tony <tony.orourke at talk21.com> wrote:
> Not read much of his stuff but love all the films I've seen based on his
> books - Blade Runner, Minority Report, Paycheck, Total Recall.  All top
> movies.
> Tony

Minority Report- Tom Cruise the Scientologist. Didn't see it though
yet sadly, or paycheck. Total Recall= awesome and anything stupid was
an insertion of hollywood stereotypes into the PKD plot. What book is
it based on maybe I shall read it next.... You can't tell maybe I read
a short story called...what...had a revolution on mars and false
reality mind games, "the special blue class of engineers, people who
could tinker with their wheels. Opened with a flying car going 500mph
when the speed governers on the other cars kept them at 200 or
something"

PKD died shortly after they made blade runner but he saw a few scenes
and said he was amazed by them. You can find a cool movie on the web
somewhere (free 50 minutes long) made by Terry Gilliam and it has
interviews with contemporary authors such as Ray Bradbury and Theodore
Sturgeon