Philip Dick

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Jun 30 17:38:32 EDT 2005

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:00:15 -0400, Drill <drill.0010.1011.1100 at GMAIL.COM>
wrote:

>Voiceover, what was that about, "these moments will be lost in time
>like tears in the rain"? That's what he didn't like?

The final release of the movie (Bladerunner) was semi-butchered at the
studio's insistence (after PKD's death but before theatrical release).
The suits thought it didn't make sense, hence the voiceover narration was
added.  They thought it was depressing, so the happy ending was tacked on
(which bugs me much more than the narration).  I haven't seen the
director's cut (which "corrects" the studio's meddling), so I don't know
whether or not it touches more on the all-important question (completely
ignored in the theatrical version): Is Deckard, himself, a replicant?

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com