OFF: Philip Dick

Drill drill.0010.1011.1100 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 30 18:12:06 EDT 2005

On 6/30/05, Drill <drill.0010.1011.1100 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/30/05, Doug Pearson <jasret at mindspring.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 05:31:40 -0400, Drill <drill.0010.1011.1100 at GMAIL.COM>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Second Variety- wow. Then I read a "vol. 5 (Eye of the Sibyl?)" short
> > >story book, then Radio Free Albemuth, and a biography of him, then
> > >Counterclock world, all in what 3 months. What next? PKD has my vote
> > >for any pantheon now. Comes up everywhere too, and I am receiving
> > >signals from the Valis satellite nightly. About that time now actually
> > >it's 2:30AM in california.
> >
> > Yeah, I'm a big fan of PKD, and his drug-addled dystopian sci-fi mind-
> > blowers strike me as something that Hawkwind always should've been
> > thematically closer to (although they've always been good at channelling
> > the JG Ballard vibe, especially with Bob up front).
>
> I read High Rise, Concrete Jungle, Terminal Beach, and saw some kind
> of interestingly formatted graphical collection type book I couldn't
> focus on. Can't easily read comic books either. Oh and a story about a
> future where clocks have been outlawed. Moorcock really championed the
> guy when he edited new worlds, so I read. WHERE DOES ONE FIND ISSUES
> OF NEW WORLDS? Why are they not scanned and available digitally at
> varying degrees of resolution and in text mapped PDF format? There
> should be a worldwide fax machine transmission network to distribute
> all science fiction in a simillar way. All science fiction minus that
> from elronds cupboard.
>

> > I would consider his *absolutely essential* books to be:
> > Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch
> > Man In The High Castle
> > A Scanner Darkly
> > Ubik
> > Flow My Tears the Policeman Said
> >
> > Among his earlier works, Eye In The Sky and Time Out Of Joint are two of
> > my favorites.  But I've enjoyed everything I've read by him, even though
> > (technically) he's not a "great writer" (similar to the way that,
> > technically, only a very few members of Hawkwind have been "great
> > musicians").

Yeah. A "reader's authour" as opposed to an author favoured by by an
academic literati/ community of established writers and their agents
and publishing houses.

> > 'We Can Remember It For You Wholesale' is the name of the short story
> > that 'Total Recall' was based on.  I actually haven't read any of his
> > short stories, but most of the people I know who have recommend his novels
> > more highly.

Radio Free Albemuth was like an ultimate book about life in modern
times. It should resonate strongly with anyone who reads it.  I gotta
withhold discussion because I have other things to do today. There's
that series of 5 books of short stories. Every one of them amazed me.
Something for Us Tempunauts for example is one I can think of best at
the moment. The story Second Variety he wrote in 1953 I think and it's
gotta be 100 pages though I admit I could be wildly off. Without
giving anything away I can only claim it is about as frenzied,
detailed, rapidly paced and mind blowing as they come not to mention
the PARANOIA.