OFF: settlement of England (was: Re: Mountain Grill (!))

Jill Strobridge jill.strobridge at BLUEYONDER.CO.UK
Wed Mar 2 19:50:31 EST 2005

British Roman town planning was rather imposed on the native
Britons and, though some of the more wealthy landowning tribal
leaders were part way there, the idea of building 'public works' as
a bribe to get yourself elected needed quite a lot of direct
encouragement from the Roman authorities.    Most of the big stone
buildings therefore were probably built and owned either by
Imperial Rome itself or by landowners based outside Britain who by
the late Empire period, were too busy worrying about their Gaulish
and Roman estates to bother about their British residences.   The
British climate being what it is must have led to a fairly rapid
decay of most of the stone buildings and without maintenance, money
or stone working knowlege town centres may have become very
dangerous places and probably best avoided.  And when the supply of
coinage dried up then land became wealth and the best place a
landowner could be was in his house on his country estate with a
private army to guard it.

So auxiliaries and estate owners that didn't get drawn into the
Imperial civil wars (and many of them would have been) and didn't
flee to France would have gone back to being local leaders in a
countryside of slowly decaying villa estates.    The Visigoths (I
think I'm correct in this?) attempted to emulate Roman authority
and adopted the trappings of Roman power but the Huns weren't even
remotely interested in these aspects of Roman civilisation.     The
steady influx of Anglo-Saxon settlers were also far more interested
in land acquisition and generally it seems ignored stone buidings -
which by that stage were probably more trouble than they were worth
to reconstruct by a culture that did not have any great stone
building traditions.

In the end it was church leaders and bishops who became guardians
of the urban centres and churches that formed the focus of urban
survival where it did occur (but not in Britain).

Well - at least that's as I understand it from my recent studies!

This has travelled a long way from Mountain Grill I fear!

jill