RIP Tommy Vance

GutterCat at AOL.COM GutterCat at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 7 14:55:49 EST 2005

hawkfan at RATSAUCE.CO.UK writes:

> There must be loads of us ex spotty youths who remember the Friday Rock
> Show.

Oh yes indeed! I used to record them all on cassette then put what I liked
onto another cassette. Introduced me to lots of great music and superb bands
that I would probably not have encountered otherwise.

> He once name checked me after I'd asked him to play a live recording
> of a Rush show. I never did win the Friday Night Connection though.

Neither did I.

> I don't remember him playing much Hawkwind but he introduced me to so much
> good music.

I used to listen to it with my head between the speakers... then one tine he
played Orgone Accumulator. From then on I was HOOKED on Hawkwind. I HAD to get
this and when I did I was blown into space by that double live LP. And that
was it... the beginning of my love of the music of Hawkwind.

Also, regarding Tommy and his Friday Rock Show, I still have the Reading
broadcast and the studio session that The Hawks did. I put the Reading one onto a
CD through a graphic, but didn't get it quite right. I set the bass far too
high and it literally vibrates everything through that sub woofer. sounds great,
but watch out for falling slates anf windows shattering.

Alan Davey would love it :-)

> Times move on, and Steve Lamacq and more recently Zane Lowe have
> picked up the banner these days.

I don't know about Steve Lamacq, but Zane Lowe plays some bloody great music
sometimes. Highly recommended for the broad minded.

> Still, it feels like the end of an era, or
> perhaps more realistically the full stop after an era that ended some time
> ago.

It's a full stop alright.
We can no longer "ROCK WITH TOMMY VANCE"

A great shame.

Enjoy life,
Steve.