OFF: Virtual EMS Synthi AKS

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Sun Mar 13 14:56:45 EST 2005

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 14:05:06 -0500, David Kuznick
<dkuznick at ALUMNI.BRANDEIS.EDU> wrote:

>Why bother with that?  Why not just pick up:  http://tinyurl.com/5rj8x
>
>:-()

Very cool, but since we're talking EMS, this one might be more appropriate:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38071&item=7306197115&rd=1

;^)

(I've actually gotten to mess around with one of those a bit!)

Although Klaus' Moog is probably the better deal.

With respect to softsynth emulations of analog synths, the one area that
most fall short in is when trying to use an audio-frequency signal as a
modulation source (a common technique with the Minimoog and Arp 2600, two
oft-simulated classic analogs).  And, of course, to replicate a Synthi
properly (or at least for maximum fun), you'd need a joystick hooked up to
your PC.  But I don't own an EMS, and don't do computer synthesis (no need
with one of these ... http://www.wiard.com/ ), so I can't make any sort of
direct comparison ...

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com