dr. who

GutterCat at AOL.COM GutterCat at AOL.COM
Fri Mar 18 12:38:11 EST 2005

ian at ABRAHAMSI.FREESERVE.CO.UK writes:

> And I think Eccleston is going to be fab. Just watched an overview on The
> Culture Show where they were building up the segment to say "it's just not
> the same anymore" only to have the presenter come out of the press screening
> with a big grin on his face announcing that Doctor Who really is back...

I saw that.
The presenter in question was a real Dr Who anorak, so when he came out and
said that, it was a huge relief to me. Very encouraging indeed.
So many times, new writers try to change things in order to be controversial.
I was concerned that it would be made nasty in a way, rather than scary. We
don't need swearing, gritty violence or other issues dealt with almost
everywhere else, in Dr Who.
Then I heard a trailer on the radio in which the Doctor spoke the words "I'm
The Doctor. I'm here to help."
I really think this is going to be great! My first Doctor was Jon Pertwee and
I went off it towards the end of Tom Bakers reign.
Thought the Paul McGann movie was good and hoped for more but it was not
forthcoming.
The Doctor is one of, if not THE greatest Sci-Fi character ever and it
astounds me that it has been left idle for so long.

BBC Radio 2 are doing a couple of programmes on Doctor Who staring on
Tuesday.
Here's a link:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/events/doctorwho/
There's lots of other Who related stuff there too and overseas fans can
listen online.

Sorry for long ish, off topic post.
Maybe there should be a Hawkwind/Doctor Who list.

Steve.