Stalk-Forest

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Tue Mar 22 18:23:16 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 14:58 -0800, gary shindler wrote:
> I thought it was sold on the internet only?! I live in
> BF, Oklahoma and you couldn't even find any Hawkwind
> here. My store in OKC wouldn't trade last time I
> brought a bunch of LPs so I'm kind of indie-storeless.
> But I am looking to move to Kansas City so the future
> looks bright.

Somewhere on the Rhino Handmade site (maybe in the "sound off" section)
it states that they reserve sales of new releases exclusively through
their Web site for the first 30 days of release.  After that, they let
them be sold via retail outlets.

They also mention that they know that something is definitively "out of
print" if it sells out the entire run in this first 30 day period, as
they know that's all there is to sell.  If it doesn't sell out, it may
still be available in some shop out there somewhere, and so presumably
won't end up on the "out of print" section of their Web site.  (That
sounds like a crazy definition of "out of print" to me, but it would
help explain why their "out of print" section isn't bigger than it is.)

I also saw in the "sound off" section some complaints about at least one
of the Rhino Handmade releases subsequently ending up being released on
the Collector's Choice label---and in a non-limited edition at a cheaper
price to boot!  So, I guess there is a possibility of some of their
releases getting subsequent wider exposure on other labels given enough
interest.

Cheers,

Paul.

PS: If you think things are bad, years ago we had to airlift Hawkwind
CDs to the poor deprived masses in the USA.  (Read the archives if you
think I'm kidding.:)
e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa