Which albums for beginners

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Wed Mar 23 16:35:29 EST 2005

On 23 Mar 2005, at 20:43, Tony wrote:
> I'd go along with pretty much everything recommended so far, except
> Imaginos.  I always thought that to "get" Imaginos, you need to have
> heard
> the first three albums first.  I love Imaginos by the way.

It's true that you see Imaginos differently after getting into the
first several albums (particularly _ST_), though having come late to
BOC (early 90s!) Imaginos was one of the first albums I heard (along
with FoUO and ETLive!) and it grabbed me right away.

I even like the Astronomy reworking, though I hadn't spent the previous
15 years listening to the original -- I think some version of Astronomy
belongs on Imaginos, and though on balance, I like the original
arrangement better and it's cool to hear a different arrangement.
Though come to think of it, I think I like "Blue Oyster Cult" on
Imaginos better than "Subhuman" on ST.  The only thing that I never got
into on Imaginos was "Imaginos" itself.  It just felt a little too
bouncy for an album ending with such grandiose arrangements elsewhere
on it.  Ah well!

Cheers,
Carl

--