dr. who

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Sun Mar 27 02:07:52 EST 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-27 at 07:23 +0100, Ian Abrahams wrote:
> I thought it was terrific, it had great pace, it was very funny, very
> spooky, and the key thing was that my seven and eight year olds were totally
> enthralled by it.

I've only seen the version "leaked" onto the Internet, and I don't know
if this differs from the one actually broadcast.  I hope it does---at
least with respect to the incidental music, which tended to drive me up
the wall.  (It struck me as the musical equivalent of a laugh track.)

I agree largely with Mike Montfort's comments: I liked the Doctor (on
the whole, though the flippancy was a bit much), and also feel that the
chemistry with his companion seems right.  Saved through flashes of
promise, I'd say it "felt right" on the whole.

My main complaint is that the pacing felt too hyper.  I really hope they
don't make a habit of squeezing an entire adventure into a single
episode because it really robs the plot of power, development and depth.
Good writing was always the hallmark of Doctor Who.  I'm glad that seven
and eight year olds enjoy the show, but I hope it is not being pitched
at that demographic at the detriment of the writing suffering in favour
of action and visuals.

I guess I'll feel happier when I finally see a disused quarry... ;-)

Cheers,

Paul.

NP: Pink Floyd, Hollywood Bowl, 1972-09-22
e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa