dr. who

Jill Strobridge jill.strobridge at BLUEYONDER.CO.UK
Sun Mar 27 15:19:10 EST 2005

It was interesting and I found myself watching with an attitude
along the lines of "this really is very silly but - oh - actually
that moment was quite scarey" and I liked the way the Doctor kept
disappearing out of Rose's life and then reappearing again which
gave her eventual decision to join him an air of reality.    I
wonder if alien politics has grown up as well?     The Doctor
demanding to speak to an alien under Section 15 of the Shadow
Convention - surely Babylon 5 associations here!   And there was
reference to a much grander scale of alien interaction involving
many worlds and a war of some kind.    Whether or not Galifrey
(spelling?) is still in overall control didn't get much of a
mention though.

So it was certainly true to its heritage and the target audience
may be about right but unfortunately I'm not sure I like
Christopher Eccleston.   Perhaps he'll grow on me but gormless is a
word that springs to mind though that may be a bit unfair.   He
smiles too much and I don't think the script writing was
particularly kind to him - loads of one-liners, some of them very
entertaining, but it would have been nice if a few sentences could
have been strung together to form paragraphs.    But then I'm not
really enjoying the Casanova series either - more or less for the
same reasons.

But I'm glad its back and I can see why America doesn't like it -
it's still got that air of low-tech British awkwardness about it -
no suave Superior Nation sophistication here!

jill