Cult Classic

John Swartz jswartz at MITRE.ORG
Mon Mar 28 09:32:01 EST 2005

> Cult Classic
> From:
> gary shindler <bewlay68 at YAHOO.COM>
> Date:
> Sat, 26 Mar 2005 15:20:02 -0800
>

> Okay, so I've been listening to this in my car lately.
> Why was this album made? I know the early albums might
> not have been recorded using the best technology but I
> don't see how they've really improved the songs. I
> actually think Dharma and Bloom's vocals were better
> on the originals.
> It might have been interesting to do the songs
> unplugged, if possibly too trendy.
> The karoake songs are interesting. Maybe Hawkwind
> needs to do a karoake version of "Silver Machine" or

The answer to this, I think, is in the BOC FAQ
(http://members.aol.com/bocfaqman), but the short answer is that BOC was
no longer under contract to Sony, I believe that the producers of "The
Stoned Age" wanted to use "The Reaper" but couldn't use the original
version without paying high royalty fees, so BOC planned to record a new
version.  Having not yet secured a new record contract, they decided to
release a whole album's worth of their hits.  There's more to it, but
that's what I recall off the top of my head.

John