dr. who

Nick Medford nickmedford at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 29 07:27:46 EST 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 08:49:03 +0100, David and Manami Greenhalgh
<greenhalgh.david at NTLWORLD.COM> wrote:

>On 29 Mar 2005, at 01:04, Cyberkrel wrote:
>
>> Sorry - not impressed - not an original thought in its head - the
>> script at
>> the end was plain embarassing with the Dr and the tub of goo - the
>> ideas
>> were a mix of The Avengers and Terminator 2 - and a lot of it was just
>> laughable - maybe that's the point - maybe we 're meant to laugh at it
>> - not
>> take it seriously.
>> Andy G.
>>
>Mr. G, you have no soul ;-)

He has a point though.

Even though I quite liked it overall, some of the humour was very heavy-
handed. The burping wheelie-bin for example. One of the great strengths of
the classic Who series was the way they managed to combine a certain amount
of humour with ideas and events that were genuinely frightening. This
requires considerable writing skill, and not deliberately killing the
suspense by effectively telling the viewer, "it's OK, it's all just a joke".

This relates to the issue of cramming the whole thing into one episode, as
with more time and plot development, there's also more room for witty
asides that can build up the characters (who can forget Tom Baker's jelly
babies) without undercutting the main thrust of the story.

Nick