Full Gigs & Re-issues.

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Tue May 10 19:11:59 EDT 2005

On Tue, 10 May 2005 18:56:52 -0400, The Cold War Kid <h-loopey at FSMAIL.NET>
wrote:

>Has anyone heard of any plans (I'm a bit out of touch with current day
>Hawkwind matters & new to the list!)

Welcome aboard!

>to release further live albums in the
>Weird series or to issue full gigs of any '77, '78 or the Live '79
>material?

There has already been a full gig from the '79 tour released on Voiceprint
(Collector Series vol.1 'Complete 1979'); well worth it if you already
liked 'Live 79' and want more.  And at one point, Voiceprint prematurely
announced the release of a complete gig from the Hawklords '78 tour, but
the announcement was later withdrawn :^(.  'Atomhenge 76', also on
Voiceprint, is a great document of the tour from that year, although it
isn't quite a complete gig (the encore medley is missing).  As for 1977,
there's *almost* a complete gig if you put all the Weird recordings from
that year together, and I'd have to believe that there's more from where
the PXR5 live tracks came from, but there have never even been rumors
about that stuff being released.  It would be GREAT to hear the version
of "Waiting For The Man" that they played as an encore that year.

For better or worse, there haven't been any "archival" live releases on
Voiceprint for a while, and I probably wouldn't expect any more until *at
least* several months after the release of the new album (if, indeed, it
is actually released).  You don't want to compete with "new" product ...

>Likewise is there any danger of Quark, PXR5 or Choose your Masques being
>re-issued?

Nobody seems to have any idea (although there's currently a pirate release
of Quark on CD being flogged all over eBay), although the Griffin reissue
of 'Choose Your Masques' can be found considerably more easily than any of
the Virgin CD's.

I agree with you about the Hawklords live.  I think that band had the most
energy of any Hawkwind lineup, and the Griffin & Weird live CD's are big
favorites of mine.  In some ways the preceding (House/Shaw/King) and
successive (Lloyd-Langton/Blake) lineups were "more talented" (and I
especially like the former), but the Hawklords stuff is just really really
fun ...

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com