HW: Middlesbrough Gig

John Cartledge John.Cartledge at SUNDERLAND.AC.UK
Thu May 19 12:31:56 EDT 2005

Thought a quick review of last night would come in handy.

The last gig I saw in Middlesbrough was a certain Mr Calvert back in
85/6 on his Test Tube Conceived tour, so it seemed almost fitting that
20 years later (is it really that long) Hawkwind were the attraction.

The venue itself was pretty interesting. All art deco lighting and
gothic pillars. The stage was pretty small with a low ceiling so the
backdrops were slightly obscured.

A somewhat disappointing turnout missed a corking gig. In fact, barring
the last Hawkfest this was the best I have seen them for a long time.

Spacehead kicked off proceedings and came and went fairly unnoticed by
the somewhat sparse (at this point anyway) crowd.

After this the number of bodies increased and the usual air of
expectancy and excitement started to build. I don't know what it is
about this band, as I get as excited now at the prospect of seeing them
as I did in my teens. Anyway, at about 8:45 Hawkwind took to the stage
and the familiar chords of Spirit of the age started up. Dave at front
of the stage looking and sounding great (he's got more energy than me
and I'm 20 years younger!).

 From then on the gig just got better and better with the new tracks
sounding good although DB had a few problems with the lyrics
on to love a machine.

Highlight of the night for me had to be Paradox. They have reworked this
with Dave singing the verses over a sparse piano/bass
accompaniment before cranking it up for the chorus and riffing/soloing
like his life depended on it. I'll add this to the long list of Hawkwind
moments that make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck and the
shivers go down your spine. Brilliant stuff. Please give this a long run
in the setlist.

After that it was good to see A&B/GV sequed together as they always
should be before going into Where Are They Now.
Dumpy was brought on as guest for a fairly manic Brainstorm intercut
with Vega.

Came back for an excellent Brainbox Pollution and a solid Silver
Machine, both of which had my partner (a somewhat reluctant
Hawkwind fan) dancing merrily.

All in all a really good gig. Dave, Alan & Richard on really good form,
with new member Jason fleshing out the sound with some
nice keyboard work.

At one point in the proceedings the cry went up "You're better than Oasis!"
Too right!

Set List (beginning and end about right, middle running order not too
sure. Approx 2 hours):

Spirit of the age
Sword of the east
Greenback massacre