OFF: What is Classic Rock???

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Mon May 23 05:15:34 EDT 2005

On 23/05/2005 04:39, Alex S. Garcia wrote:
> Radio stations though need to evolve. They can't play 70's stuff forever on a
> classic rock station (at least they can't play JUST that forever).
> So I think it would be more reasonable to say that 'classic rock' should be
> any rock song from the past that has had some some of influence and/or
> mediatic success at one point or another.

I realized this was the way of it when _Classic Rock_ magazine in the UK
starting covering lots of stuff that had been going on in the 80s, and I
realized that whether I liked it or not, Guns'n'Roses had been canonized
as a "classic" rock band!  (Well, I guess they had a couple of decent
songs ....)  And to think that when I was a teenager, I reckoned deeming
rock from the 70s as classic was suspect -- how could it be classic if
it hadn't been from the 60s!?

Then I realized that "classic rock" was what people who are currently
dads listened to before they were dads :)  But since I never listen to
the radio, I guess the music industry can put their labels wherever they
like, since I'll seldom run into them :)

Cheers,
Carl

ps - speaking of what may or may not be related to "classic rock", has
anyone heard anything from the new Bruce Dickinson solo album?  I
somehow never got into Maiden back when I was the right age to get into
Maiden like all my friends, but Bruce's _Chemical Wedding_ solo album in
the '90s blew me away (most of it, anyhow).  If the new one's even
almost as good, I'll be happy :)

--
Carl Edlund Anderson
mailto:cea at carlaz.com