Never any BOC news!

John Swartz jswartz at MITRE.ORG
Mon May 23 10:15:54 EDT 2005

>>I find it sad that there's never much BOC news here!  Perhaps we should
>
> make
>
>>some up! ;-)

Maybe so.  I haven't heard much news about the band, other than the new
rhythm section (and that's OLD news now).  Lots of tourdates over the
summer though posted at www.blueoystercult.com though.

>>I was at my local library yesterday and came across a novelization of the
>>movie 'Constantine'. I haven't read the Hellblazer comics and had no
>>interest in seeing the movie when it was out, and was going to pass this
>>by, but then noticed it was by John Shirley, so I opened it up out of
>>curiosity. Right up front he puts this quote:
>>
>> "Exactly when the world is not expecting it,
>>     exactly when we're sure of ourselves-
>>   that's exactly when the Old Gods Return
>>           and sweep our cities...
>>              BACK INTO HELL!"
>>  -Blue Oyster Cult, "The Old Gods Return,"
>>       from 'Curse of the Hiden Mirror'
>>
>>I'm assuming BOC didn't actually get on the soundtrack or I'm sure it would
>>have been mentioned here, but its nice of JS to plug the band in the book I
>>thought.

You do realize, that John Shirley wrote those lyrics for BOC?

>>        Has anyone seen the new rhythm section yet, or have we all given
>>up on the band entirely?

Haven't given up, but haven't had the opportunity to see the new rhythm
seciton yet.

> Do the new guys change anything much about the
>>sound? Less funk and more attack is what I'm hoping to hear, but that
>>could just be me.

Just you I think.  Yeah, Danny could funk it up on ocassion, but I
thought that the Miranda/Rodinelli rhythm section was very attack driven
most of the time (although John Miceli and in particular Chuck Burgi may
have been more so).

>> > By extending their music  library, I have a suspicion they might just be
>> > playing 5 Led Zep songs over  and over in their rotation instead of 2. We'll see.
>> > I did hear "30 Days in the  Hole" while in my car the other day. That's
>> > different for this station--and  promising.

Mr. Big?

>>Anyone here have BD's Archives?  Any comments about the stuff there, how
>>good it is, etc?

Depends on your definition of "good".  The quality of the songs are for
the most part very good, but much of it is very un-BOCish.  I find the
stuff more interesting than anything else - to hear the original demos
of what became BOC songs.  But, I'll never prefer listening to "Hold Me
Tight" rather than "Lips in the Hills".  Still, there are some gems in
there for the BOC fan.

>>>I used to request "The Red and The Black".  After a few calls the DJ
>>>told me that they were not going to play it because "it was not a radio
>>>song".  I asked him what the hell that meant, but he couldn't give me a
>>>good answer.
>>

>>It likely was supposed to mean something like "nobody cares about that song
>>except BOC fans"... :-o

Which also means, "we only take requests of songs that have been played
regularly on the radio in the past, because our listeners would never
want to listen to something 'original'".

John