HW: Upcoming Litmus Gigs (and a Space Ritual gig)

Tue Nov 1 17:59:49 EST 2005

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 12:18:45AM +0100, trev typed out:
> another incisive review by jj but i fear (because of your unsurpassed review
> accuracy), you may be adopting (unwhittingly ) the clothing of the
> (enlightened) bigot.

        <snip>

> one piece of advice for jj: don't expect everything to fall into your
> preconceptions of what you think it should sound like.  this is your one
> failing. we, the creators of styles, react to reality, and this never
> conforms with what has gone before. accept and judge as best you can

        It's not my only failing by a long chalk, mate, it's just the most
obvious one that gets onto BOC-L...

        I take your point, of course. It's a weakness I recognise in
myself, I mean it took me ages to learn to love the Brain Surgeons because
what I *wanted* was some way in which more BOC would exist. Likewise with
the MoAB stuff I probably shouldn't have been expecting high-speed punk,
though I'm sure I remember some comment of yours on this list about Terry
Ollis refusing to drum for you and Ron because you went too fast. But that
was Bajina not MoAB. Anyway, yes, it's a fair criticism and I do try and
watch for it. I suspect a band with no hype gets a fairer hearing from me
than one that's good at putting itself forward, anyway, I do tend to want
to snarl at advertising.

        People creating styles is fine with me though. A couple of
my favourite bands have more or less blended their own (Clutch being
the obvious one). Though there are lots of things I'd like there to be
more of, replicating what has already been new once probably irks me more
in the long run, say, over the course of a full set or album... In the
case of Litmus they've got an obvious influence to outshine and I think
the next album is going to leave that influence much further behind and
mark their own territory a lot better. Space Ritual meanwhile did look as
if they were going to at least remould the stuff they use, which is kind
of inevitably well-worn, but the last time I saw them that promise
appeared to have been lost. I'm hoping to make the gig on Sunday 13th and
maybe then they'll change my mind again. But generally I wish more people
would create styles. I realise it in't that easy, of course. Yours,
                                                                    Jon

ObCD: Man - _Man_
--
        Jonathan Jarrett                Birkbeck College, London
                 jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk