OFF: Colour Haze & Los Natas; Euro dates incl. UK

Keith Henderson khenders64 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Nov 2 07:38:53 EST 2005

Jon said...

Jonathan Jarrett <jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 04:15:28PM +0100, Carl Edlund Anderson typed out:
> Los Natas did a HW cover, too, I think .... "Brainstorm"? Not in
> Spanish, though, AFAICR ....

>No, it's in English, and it's only all right really. It's on a
>fairly disappointing compilation of seventies covers by stoner bands
>called _Sucking the 70s_, which has so very many good ideas and so few of
>them coming off.

Hmmm...I´ve been told that their version on Brainstorm on the Muenchen Sessions CD (I believe it is) *is* actually in Spanish, but I haven't got it (either), so I am not one to say for sure.

BTW, I saw their show in Leuven, BE which was quite good, but it was not entirely enjoyable mainly because the club was awful.  It looked like they just got ´hold of the joint one day earlier and only had a couple hours to build a stage (plywood), soundsystem (the sound was OK actually), 'lighting rig' (plumbing pipes) and 'decorate.'  Plus, it was about 15 feet wide, and 80 feet long, and it was fairly packed (maybe 200) and with the bar along the one side and merch table on the other, it was nearly impossible to move back to front.  Plus, since it was mandatory that everyone who paid to get in, each smoke about a pack of cigarettes, the place was a nightmare to try to breath in.  (I was chuffed to find out that Columbus, OH has now banned smoking in bars/clubs...makes it almost bearable to live there!  But when is that going to happen in central Europe?...we need it here desperately!)

I also didn´t care much for Natas' style of performance, although the songs were quite good.  They looked as if they didn´t distinguish between farting around in the practice room, and playing on stage in front of an audience.  I couldn't tell sometimes the difference between guitar riff intros/outros, and testing effects pedals and tuning...and then when the guitarist broke a string, they all just drifted offstage for 5 minutes until he had time to fix it...no urgency whatsoever to get on with it.  Strange.  Nevertheless, it was worth seeing for sure.  The opening band, some local Belgian group, was fairly decent too...more uptempo style of Stoner Rock, a la Nebula.  I forgotten their name already, something beginning with C.

Ciao...Grakkl (in Würzburg DE)

P.S.  Ozrics in Eindhoven, NL were alright, but now without John they are hardly the same band anymore...I don't know why exactly Eddie is forging on with it alone.  Going to see iQ in Aschaffenburg next, then VDGG in Leverkusen...that should be cool.  Is the Stoke (Hawkwind) show not happening??  It would fit nicely between the first two and last two dates to make a five-date semi-coherent minitour...too bad if it doesn't come through.  Any events/plans for the Astoria show this time 'round?  Just wondering.