OFF: various vocals and lack of giggage (was HW: Astoria, See tickets, etc...)

Tue Nov 15 15:15:48 EST 2005

On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 01:21:35PM -0800, Keith Henderson typed out:

        <snip>

> P.S.  Why the hell did it take me so long to start to like Peter
> Hammill's singing?  Sometimes, my brain is very stubborn, and I can't
> learn to like some (unusual) singers for a long time, even though
> eventually I learn to love them.  Fish was another one.  (The guy from
> Clutch I don't like at all, though I think that may never change...same
> with Thom Yorke...ack!)

        I don't *like* Thom Yorke's voice but I like the way he uses
it. Same with Ozzy, for example. I think Neil Fallon from Clutch's voice
is fantastic, and that he has many of it to boot, but then they are one of
my favourite bands in the world and the words he delivers with it are such
as could only be delivered by him. He is much rawer live but that's only
to be expected, of course, he's shouting more and he's not double-tracked
and so on. Anyway. I think it's mainly his articulacy that makes him
unusual though.

> P.P.S.  There are three shows in a row at the Astoria/Mean Fiddler that
> I'd like to see...Cardiacs on the 11th, Fish on the 12th, and Litmus/AD2
> (oh, and Nik & crew too) on the 13th.  (or perhaps I got the order
> wrong.)  If I can't go to the CH:Turkey qualifier, perhaps I'll even
> make a rash decision to fly in for this weekend...anybody else going to
> these?

        I had intended to go to the Litmus/SR/ADII one, but three cheques
cleared and another one failed to turn up that Friday and so it just
stopped being possible. Pay arrived on *Monday* of course, but I just
couldn't have paid for a ticket either to get in or to get there. Did
anyone go and if so how was it? Yours,
                                        Jon

ObCD: Hawkwind - _Church of Hawkwind_
--
        Jonathan Jarrett                Birkbeck College, London
                 jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk