OFF: Motorhead! Cambridge ....

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Mon Nov 21 04:04:52 EST 2005

They rocked!  (Of course :)

Headed over for the show with Rich Lockwood and Andy Gilham.  Quite a
queue to get in when the doors opened at 7.30, so we decided for a
swift half somewhere inside -- a mistake as it turned out, since
Girlschool must have started their set almost before the first punter
got through the gate!  When we got back at what we thought was a
reasonable 8pm, they had almost finished their set, which sucked
since we were quite keen to see them, but at least the few songs we
heard sounded excellent.  They have a new charity single out to
benefit Air Ambulance (I think they said).

Had a few goes at trying In Flames, the advertised support act, who
were some metalers from Sweden.  They seemed keen, but I guess you
had to know and love the songs from the record, since they seemed to
have basically an "on" setting and an "off" setting, with occasional
bouts of semi-clean toned interlude.  Didn't float my boat over all,
though there was more synchronized hair-whirling-like-propellers head-
banging than I'd seen since the days of Pantera ;)

Motorhead at last appeared after a break that was almost as long as
Girlschool's whole set, and of course rocked like all get out :)  I
was down the front were things were quite energetic ;) sort of
sloshing around in the first metre-and-a-half of audience right in
front of the drums.  Very mixed-age audience, though it was a bit on
the younger side where I was.  There was a kid who had to have been
about 10 in front of me who I thought would simply be trampled at
several points, but I guess they still build 'em tough ;)  The band
ripped it up with a good mix of songs from their now very long career
and seemed to be having a good time, Lemmy gurning away and grinning
at Phil (who by now is looking not quite as haggard as Lemmy, but
getting up there ;)  I was kind of disappointed there were no guest
appearances from Girlschool members, but hey .....

My ears may stop ringing by the time they'r next in town :)

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson