Julian Cope on BOC

mark von bargen atnr63 at DSL.PIPEX.COM
Mon Oct 3 18:58:25 EDT 2005

Julian Cope is one complex guy, well and truly screwed up at times by his
copious intake of various narcotics and, yes, it is THE Julian Cope. He
lives in his own world and plays the role of anti-fan to some effect as seen
by his commentary on Hawkwind on this review of the Litmus album, You Are
Here
http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/albumofthemonth/1240

In fact his Head Heritage site http://www.headheritage.co.uk is a wonderful
compendium of the strange world of psychedelics and beyond and he does give
space to a number of contributors who are well worth reading.

He was an absolute head-case on the Liverpool scene at the time of his
greatest commercial success with his group Teardrop Explodes. His biggest
solo success was with a song called World Shut Your Mouth - and he really
meant it

Aural Innovations offer an excellent overview of Cope's own work post
Teardrop Explodes at
http://www.aural-innovations.com/issues/issue23/jcope02.html

Any praise from Cope is worthwhile as it is a pretty rare event :-)

Mark

Albert Bouchard wrote on 03 October 2005 22:40
Subject: Re: Julian Cope on BOC

Is that THE Julian Cope? Boy, he sure is on Pearlman's dick. I wonder
where he got all his "facts" from. He has some footnotes that make it
seem all scholarly but much of the history is garbled. He criticizes
the band for not knowing what the songs mean and then gets the meaning
of many of them all wrong himself. Pearlman would always refuse to
explain his lyrics to the band or anyone else, feeling that whatever
interpretation someone could come up with was likely to be as good or
better than the one he intended. I think Mr. Cope has just illustrated
his point.
Al
PS I quite like Julian Cope's stuff. Who'd have known he was into BOC.