Julian Cope on BOC

Chip Hart chip at PCC.COM
Tue Oct 4 13:56:57 EDT 2005

Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:
> As for BOC, the good Mr. Cope seems to be trying to say "I like a lot of
> that stuff, but not all of it, and I wish I liked more of it, or that
> there was more I liked, or something, but since that's not enough to
> fill this web page (what is?) I'd best go off on a rant about ... stuff!" :)

        In thinking about it, I thought was an interesting discussion
        about _why_ one likes BOC.

        For example, on this list there are 3 camps (that I can
        identify):

          - Those who think that BOC-through-ST is "the" BOC.

          - Those who think that parts of their early stuff, big
          sections of the middle (AOF until RBN) and a little from RBN
          and on are the "best" parts.

          - Those who like it all.

        Cope is firmly in the first camp, as the "attitude" and "intent"
        of BOC at the time seems more important to him than, say, how
        cool the melody is on "I Love the Night" or something.  Although
        there are signs of what was to come in the earlier albums ("Last
        Days" and "Flaming Telepaths"), BOC really did change after
        OYFOOYK.  Could Godzilla have lived on any of the albums before
        Spectres?  I don't think so.

--
Chip Hart - Pediatric Solutions  *  Physician's Computer Company
chip @ pcc.com                   *  1 Main St. #7, Winooski, VT 05404