HW: Upcoming Litmus Gigs (and a Space Ritual gig)

hAWKWIND r00ls d00d stemfors at PIPELINE.COM
Fri Oct 28 00:49:48 EDT 2005

>...These riffs embody a transcendent trance effect - you can play
>them over and over and over - and they can take you places. No other
>band has ever surpassed them in this area (in my humble opinion).

Hearken ye to the words of the Judge, for he knows whereof he speaks. This
rock version of Terry Riley-like minimalist repetition is the ultimate
contribution of HW to music and one of the things that earns them their
place in rock history, not to mention that it makes them worthy to wear the
righteous crown of flaming eyes. Parson Sound did it earlier, and almost as
good, but they never released any material while they were active so HW was
the first in print, even if their official albums didn't fully showcase
what they did in a live setting - which is why Text of Festival is so
essential. And for worthy modern takes on this, try some of the half-dozen
or so recent releases from Acid Mothers Temple and The Cosmic Inferno, now
with twin-drum attack, or the awesome Pharaoh Overlord - #1.

Stephan