We didn't do it ;-(

Colin Allen colin at CALLEN18.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Mon Sep 5 04:04:11 EDT 2005

See below.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich" <cosmicdolphin at COMCAST.NET>
To: <BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET>
Sent: Sunday, September 04, 2005 11:45 PM
Subject: Re: We didn't do it ;-(

They may well have but this is only one factor.  in combination with the
other factors, the small fanbase made the task more difficult.

> >2. The song was not going to appeal to the wider, CD buying public.
>
> Spirit of the Age is a great song and involving Matthew was a good choice,
> as he does have a reasonable level of media exposure.

It is a good song but it is NOT a good single for 2005; as to Mr Wright, his
media exposure has helped to sell some singles (from his fan clun) but his
overall media exposure is not that good.

> >3. Publicity and airplay were poor - how was the wider, CD buying public
> >get to hear it?
>
> Potentially now it's out there riding high in the Rock chart, and in the
> Indie Chart, more people may hear it, and some airplay will certainly do
no
> harm for later album sales.

They may, but I doubt it as most playlists are driven by the main singles
chart.

> >4. It is almost impossible to compete in the singles market against the
> more
> >established players; they have their ways of "ensuring" that their
singles
> >"sell" well, which are probably beyond the financial capability of
> >Voiceprint.
>
> Voiceprint do not have the muscle of big players like EMI etc, but I would
> certainly not be too hard on Rob Ayling. He seems to be doing okay, while
it
> looks like someone like SANCTUARY are on the brink of going under
according
> to what's being reported this week.
>
> When we were handing out/distributing the very colourful pretty flyers
(that
> Voiceprint provided) with Mike Holmes up at Worldcon in Glasgow, people
were
> snapping them up very quickly, so Rob is certainly doing something right.
> Can I also point out he seems to have damn good US distribution.

You are somewhat missing the point here.  I am not commenting on the success
or otherwise of Mr Ayling's business, merely on the abilityor willingness of
Voiceprint to do what other companies do in order to get their singles into
that charts.  Many companies have teams of "buyers" who are paid to buy the
single from as many chart-counting shops as possible, thereby rigging the
charts.  I strongly suspect that this effort was far more honest than that.

> >None of this reflects badly on Dave Law; his efforts have been
Herculenean
> >and worthy of high praise.
> >Unfortunately, it was the wrong song and the wrong company.
>
> Don't be a negative sourpuss Colin, the glass is more than half full.
> Especially when the album is released, if it enters the TOP 75, that will
> put it in most music stores in the land, and probably many supermarkets
too
> which is pretty good coverage.

If (to quote a Spartan king!).

> Dave has indeed put in a great effort and deserves a jolly good slap on
the
> back. (after he recovers from the hangover of course)
>
> As far as the charts are concerned, well singles are a promotional tool to
> gain album sales, so any promotion/airplay gained from the single release
> could result in album sales, even without a Top 40 placing.

I suspect that charting this single meant far more than that to some people.

> No Room for detractors here, let's just celebrate the fact that there are
> placings in the Rock and Indie charts!!!

Is this the Taleban or a Hawkwind discussion group?

> Rich W

Colin