HW: Space Poetry

Stephan Forstner stemfors at PIPELINE.COM
Tue Sep 6 15:11:06 EDT 2005

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 15:00:40 +0100, M Holmes <fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK> wrote:
>Nick Medford writes:
>> Just struck me that the "still underage" line in Starfarer's Dispatch
>> might not help its chances.
>
>Though it's relatively (heh!) clear from context that this means that
>she was too young to undergo cryosleep without parental permission.
>
>FoFP

It still means though that the Starfarer is having carnal relations with
something that has the physical appearance of being 'underage', whatever
that is interpreted to mean, which could raise eyebrows.

And it brings up a slight logical problem (maybe problem is too strong a
word) that has always bugged me - even if she were underage at the time of
the Starfarer's leavetaking, in a few years she would have reached the age
of majority, or consent, or right-to-freezedry, or what-have-you, and get
herself frozen then, assuming she really WANTED to wait for him, thus
negating one problem ("you'd be about 60 now and long dead by the time I
returned to earth") entirely.

Stephan

Great poetry shouldn't be nit-picked. Sorry about that.