TMTYL

Neil Toyne neiltoyne at NTLWORLD.COM
Tue Sep 13 14:00:24 EDT 2005

Hi all,
        I ordered mine in July and added the Carol Clerk book to ensure the
free delivery.  I then went back and altered the order, cancelling TMTYL and
replacing it with the DVD version.  Amazon then sent out the book as it was
in stock, making no charge for the postage.  So I added another book to the
order and they sent that, post free again.  After hearing that people had
received notice that their TMTYL CDs were being sent out over the weekend, I
checked, only to find that the expected delivery date of my copy had slipped
to late this week.  So I added another book to the order.  My order details
were then updated by Amazon, showing TMTYL's expected delivery date as the
21st to 23rd September, with the book due to arrive by the end of this week
(post free, still!).  So I emailed them.  Their reply blamed this on the
order being updated, causing their system to recalculate delivery dates;
despite the book being available for immediate dispatch.  They apologised
for this but didn't make any offer of sending the CD out now, whilst giving
me a £3 voucher to compensate for not getting it right (I'm not sure whether
this observation by them is aimed at me or them!).  So I emailed them again,
asking why they slavishly follow a system that produces such cockups,
especially as not only was it generating excess postage charges for
themselves but was also poor customer service.  Their reply suggested that I
should have chosen seperate delivery at the outset (which they have already
done all along at their own instigation!), implying that it was down to my
actions - whilst stating that they would also send the items out (seperately
from each other!) by first class post, the book to arrive 14th to 15th and
the CD to arrive 16th to 20th.  Lesson 101 in how to run a mail order
company.

        Incidentally, back in the mid 80's, I was involved in running the
mail order dept of Citadel Miniatures and we could frequently deliver UK
orders within 2 days of the customer posting the cheque to us - i.e.
customer posts order and cheque on Monday, we'd receive it on the Tuesday,
bank it and send the goods out that evening (after all, any problems with
the cheque, we had their address) and the customer received the goods on the
Wednesday.  Obviously, there were times when we got a little behind with
orders but any items on advance order were dealt with in the proper manner;
and we even kept the customer up to date with what was happening!!!

        Oh dear, I seem to have rambled on..........................  I need
new HW input.................

Neil