Gig review: Off The Tracks

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Wed Sep 14 08:28:55 EDT 2005

After passing out 500 leaflets for the single, and donning my specially
customised Lucky Leif helmet (with colour-changing horns), we headed own
to the Marquee for the gig.

It was pretty damn warm inside, so we took a place a few rows back near
the left speaker, mainly because that side of the tent was open and
letting in some air.

The tent was a bit low-ceilinged, which gave the light crew a bit of
trouble, but they overcame this and produced a spectacular show which
really wowed the audience.

Anyway, the band opened with The Right Stuff, played pretty much as the
anthem it's always been when Alan takes the vocals. A good kick-ass
start to the night. This was followed by Sword of the East played a bit
closer to the Bedouin style, which really rocked. Greenback Massacre was
next up. I try to like this one more and it does have the basic elements
of a classic Hawkwind track. Nevertheless it never seems to acquire the
tight blanga style of the real rockers like LSD and Brainstorm. To be
honest I've wondered if this wouldn't sound a little more polished if
Dave took the vocals.

Seven by Seven was next and this is where the gig really took off. My
nephews were there for their first ever rock gig and were hoisted onto
their dad's shoulders for this one. Really enjoyable and it didn't hurt
that Dave dedicated it to me for my birthday (I see Jill was busy while
I was on holiday ;-) A very nice thought and my thanks to all concerned.

The pace slowed up a little with Out Here We Are.  I wasn't sure of the
timing since certainly down near the front the audience were looking to
keep dancing.  Fortunately they got their wish when Angela Android
kicked in.  The version was quite close to the one on the single.  I'd
been trying to remember when I heard it played as on the single and I
realised that I've only heard it played that way at Arin and Rich's
wedding.  It'd be nice to think the single is from that recording, but I
don't hear Keef's guitar, but certainly it has to be around that time I
think. What other gigs were played around then?

Then into Hassan I Sabha and the Space is Their Palestine insert. The
lights were really taking off at this point. I'd been wondering if we'd
get the Belly Dancer who'd been around the festival (and supplying
lessons) and on stage for other bands, but no luck.

Paradox came up next and the start of this was to me the one really weak
part of the gig. It didn't sound together and Jason seemed too high in
the mix for much of the song, though to be fair, there was no time for a
soundcheck. Once the blanga kicked in things improved a lot but I don't
think this one is yet as good live as it could be.

Now into the Assault and Battery/Golden Void combination done in the
classic WotEoT mode and seguing into Where Are They Now?, for decades a
favourite of mine and done here better than I've ever heard it. I do
think that with another verse, this would make a really excellent
single. Does anyone have the lyrics of this? I'd be up for trying to
write another verse...

Then into an unmistakeable riff: Treadmill. I can't remember when we
last heard that one live and this time it was played well and truly on
form and segued into Snake Dance, another returnee from 1992.
Psychedelic Warlords followed, and with max blanga. Dumpy came on for
Brainstorm and the band really let rip, with the light crew seemingly
having summoned up The Strobes of The Dawn as the tent seemed filled
with a thousand of the buggers. Alan Dave and Dumpy were clearly having
a lot of fun and they jammed into a very extended version of it.

Then off for a well deserved pint (it must have been helluva hot on
stage) while the audience found the rhythm of a chant of "Hawkwind!
Hawkwind!" to summon them back.

Sadly my nephews, who had adopted Spirit of the Age as their Hawkwind
mantra due to me playing it in the car and at the campsite, had long
since fallen asleep and been carried back to the tent. Finally, at the
encore, the band had their chance to kick out the new single and the
audience had their opportunity to sing back the chorus. Definitely Go At
Throttle Up for all. Then Dumpy joined in with Silver Machine which was
a great idea for the non-Hawkwind fans who'd come along for all the
world music at the festival. I think it'd be fair to say that they got
an unforgettable two hours to figure out why all these Hawkwind fans
turned up, drunk all 38 kegs of real ale, and wittered enthusiastically
about the band while pushing leaflets into all available paws and
tentacles.

Or maybe that was just me.

I really hope the gig was recorded because it'd make an absolutely
astounding live double album. If not, then let's please have it sold to the
passport holders, those who missed it shouldn't miss it.