HW: TMTYL-another review

Ted Jackson Tjackson at SYR.EDU
Wed Sep 14 12:03:13 EDT 2005

Quoting Ted Jackson <Tjackson at SYR.EDU>:

> Hey, consider us BÖC fans.  It's not easy to be objective when
> you've waited a while for new output.  It was hard to point
> out the flaws in HF and CotHM.

Wow, spoken like a true fanboy.  :-)

Heh, I put the boots to both CDs when they came out...
Well, a little bit...

> but, like all CDs, they are
> there...

I was really surprised with how good HF was (not every track of course :-).  I
had avoided it for years after reading negative reviews.

Yah, there are a couple real head-scratchers on there, but I guess
Harvest Moon and SYiB are worth the whole CD...

 On CotHM I found very
little to get excited about.

Really?  I found it to be the better of the 2, sound-wise
esp., although nothing close to the 2 mentioned above...

> And, like BÖC, HW's duff tracks are still better than most
> other band's best stuff...

Though I think BOC suffers much more from a worse filler to good-stuff ratio
than Hawkwind.  But that's me, I'm sure many people think most of their albums
are great all the way through.

I would agree with them, up to Albert's departure, then they get
pretty spotty.  BÖC def. has some tunes that really make me
cringe, esp. on the last 2 CDs...

 Both still kick-ass live though.  Maybe I'll
even get to see Hawkwind again here in the US this decade...  Annoys me to no
end that the Ozrics have been doing almost yearly swings through the US
recently (and are headlining Day 1 of NEARFest next year!) and HW almost never
makes it over, and when they do, it tends to be for a one-off.

Never had the pleasure of a live HW gig, but bet yer ass I'd see
them if they EVER get over here again...

tj