Speaking of filler...

David Kuznick dkuznick at ALUMNI.BRANDEIS.EDU
Fri Sep 16 12:08:52 EDT 2005

Quoting Chris Allen <mysterioso at gmail.com>:

> If you're gonna assess the word "dated" out of context, yes you're right,
> but in context, is it not a perjorative term denoting the fact that the
> period style of the art is overwhelming the content?

I don't know, since there are a lot of interpretations of what "dated" means.
And to me, the "80's" vibe doesn't "overwhelm" the content.  It's totally
subjective anyway, and you are also assuming that that's "bad".

> Surely BOC's early albums sound like they were recorded in the '70s, but is
> that the first thing you hear when you listen to them, the songs or the
> release dates?

That's a strawman argument, because you assume that's how I experience Club
Ninja ("It's the 80's!" first, music second).

--
David Kuznick   dkuznickATalumni.brandeis.edu
"I am the storm that won't be calmed, I am the calm that follows.