so are they all NTSC?

Roy G. Ovrebo bloody.peasant at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 28 07:12:48 EDT 2005

On 11:22 Wed 28 Sep     , M Holmes wrote:
> Paul Mather writes:
>
> > On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 02:01:07PM +0100, M Holmes wrote:
> > => Rik Rx writes:
> > =>
> > =>
> > => > The DVD's were all encoded NTSC REGION 0
> > => > so (in theory) they should be playable
> > => > worldwide.
> > =>
> > => So if we wanted to get the music copied digitally to CD for the car?
> >
> > The audio is encoded as a separate stream from the video, so PAL
> > vs. NTSC is not an issue when just trying to extract the audio.  Note,
> > however, audio on DVD-Video is usually encoded at a 48 KHz sample
> > rate, so you would have to resample to 44.1 KHz when recording it as
> > CD audio discs for the car.  It's pretty easy to do that, though.
>
> Is there some fancy program to do this digitally or do I need to feed it
> down a wire and rerecord it?

Ok, I've got it figured. I'm on a Linux box and used mplayer -
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/

The command I used goes like
mplayer -vo null -af resample=44100:0:1 -ao pcm:file=right_to_decide.wav
vts_07_1.vob

(in one line)

with    -vo null  meaning no video output
        -af resample=44100:0:1  being the resampling bit
        -ao pcm:file=  and you put the filename here, obviously
        vts_whatever  the track

I copied the whole disc over to the harddrive, but I guess it should
work directly off the DVD. Just go into it and find those vob files.

--
Roy