OFF: Jonathan Kane

Stephan Forstner stemfors at PIPELINE.COM
Tue Apr 18 13:12:14 EDT 2006

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 13:02:47 -0700, Keith Henderson <khenders64 at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
>  Was just shopping today in the cool local CD store (Used Kids), and the guys were playing a great CD (title?) by somebody named Jonathan Kane (they said upon request).  It was very cool...long-winded droney-postrock piece not too dissimilar to Circle at times.  Bluesy-psychedelic motif repeated ad nauseum with subtle slow-changing manipulation/alteration.  The kind of modern psych that I find really intriguing.
>
>  Anybody ever heard of this guy?  Recommendations?
>
>  Ciao...Grakkl

I've been meaning to pick up his 'February' album - there's a nice review of it here -
 http://www.volcanictongue.com/tableoftheelements.html
and pitchforkmedia also reviewed it IIRC. I think that's his only solo release so it's probably the one you heard.
I've got some albums he plays on (Rhys Chatham - An Angel Moves Too Fast To See, La Monte Young & The Forever Bad Blues Band - Just Stompin, some early Swans material) but in all those cases he's basically serving someone else's vision. They do give an indication of where he's coming from though, especially the Forever Bad Blues Band stuff which was apparetly the direct inspiration for February.

Stephan