BOC: Sunday Times review

Denis Regenbrecht denis at PTI-INC.DE
Thu Aug 3 18:15:28 EDT 2006

As a R.E.M. semi-aficionado I feel the urge to add a few
corrections... ;-)

> 	I used to have this rant about how the _Sunday Times_ music
> journos were all after discovering the next big music news scoop and
> nothing at all about the music, mind. I remember an interview they did
> with, is it Buck Berry? The bass player from R. E. M.

That's either Peter Buck or Bill Berry, but neither one's the bass
player *g*. That would be Mike Mills.
Buck is the guitarist, while Berry was the drummer.

> who broke his back just after _Monster_ came out? And it went
> roughly like this:

Broken back? Don't know about that, but Berry suffered a brain
aneurysm on stage during the 1995-tour (which ironically was later
renamed as "Brain Aneurysm-Tour").

> Of course Berry did in the end leave, but that was two
> years later and it didn't stop REM from recording and playing (though
> after getting hold of _Up!_ I wished it had--swapped it for the New
> York
> Gong album, best trade I ever made).

"Up!" isn't that bad IMO, but I have to admit, that the last couple
of albums are a bit lackluster. The best R.E.M. album is still "New
Adventures in Hi-Fi" for me, followed closely by "Lifes Rich Pageant".

(c)IAO
					D+R

np:  Skinny Puppy, "VIVIsectVI"