BOC: Sunday Times review

Tim Hall tim at KALYR.COM
Fri Aug 4 13:47:18 EDT 2006

Jonathan Jarrett wrote:

> The problem is that he winds up coming across like he wasn't going to
> approve of anything that wasn't skate-punk. I can't tell from this
> whether BOC were actually putting on a flabby careless performance,
> which I've certainly seen them do, or whether it was just that the
> reviewer just thinks that anything with five-minute guitar solos is a
> waste of his evening and they were really playing at the top of their
> game.

That's the heart of what's wrong with this 'review'.  It succeeds in
telling us for more about the reviewer's prejudices than it does about
the performance of the band.

Sadly in Britain, this is the sort of thing fans of anything other than
the flavour-of-the-month form of indie-rock have come to expect from
much of the NME-influenced media.