OFF: Re: R. E. M.

John Majka jmajk at INDY.RR.COM
Fri Aug 11 16:25:17 EDT 2006

R.E.M.,  like so many bands, has become rather boring in recent years...
well the recent decade, I suppose.  The early material was spectacular,
strange fare.  My favorite R.E.M. albums remain "Fables of the
Reconstruction" and "Reckoning" though "Green" is also incredibly strong.
As the years went by, the band become increasingly "by-the-numbers"
sounding.  I would say that "Green" was the last great album, and there were
tracks on individual albums after that which were fantastic, but the good
songs were becoming fewer and fewer.  Their declining course isn't unlike
that of Rush, who is also in the business these days of producing rather
uninspired and uninspiring, though competent, albums.

John Majka