OFF: Re: R. E. M.

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Mon Aug 14 05:53:52 EDT 2006

On 12/08/2006 17:31, gary shindler wrote:
> R.E.M. was best in their IRS days before they sold out
> to Warner Brothers. "Fables of the Reconstruction" was
> great, I thought a real change for them from the
> jangly Byrds thang. Maybe it was because they worked
> with a great producer like Joe Boyd a name behind
> artists like Fairport Convention, Pink Floyd, etc. I
> remember when "Green" came out and hated "Stand." It
> sounded like a song from Sesame Street. I always
> changed the words to "Shit on the toilet you own, now
> wipe it..." "Orange Crush" was good and so was the
> song with Patti Smith.

I'm not much of an REM fan really, but they were inescapable when I was
in secondary school.  _Fables_, yeah, with the Joe Boyd connection was
pretty good, and later on I was as brainwashed by the hits of _Document_
as I could be at that impressionable-yet-resistant age.  "Orange Crush"
was all right, but then I kinda tuned back out after I was in university
when "Losing My Reglion" got played so much that I was prepared to be
terminally irritated by REM henceforth!  Much later, I learned to cover
"Man on the Moon" to play in a band without having heard the original
previously ;)

On a different matter ...
> The newest Brain Surgeons sticks out as probably
> better than anything the Cult's done in years.

Yup. :)

Cheers,
Carl

--