Music Street Journal - Gary Hilll musicstreetjournal at MUSICSTREETJOURNAL.COM
Fri Aug 25 09:33:37 EDT 2006

Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:

>>On 23/08/2006 15:30, Music Street Journal - Gary Hilll wrote:

> >my new book The Strange Sound of Cthulhu - Music Inspired by the Writings of H. P. >>Lovecraft.

>Ah!  I must continue working up the demo for my song titled "The Colour

>Out of Space" before you publish the second edition! ;)

Well, I even mention in the book that there might be a second edition. I have to say looking at the initial sales (I'm still losing money) and the fact that it was two years work to do the first one - I'm not too anxious to jump on a redo. That said, I'll keep in touch with you in case I do.

Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:

> >Actually had I been able to reach the members of the band for their insights (a good >>three fourths or perhaps a little more of the artists in the book provided theirs) they > >would have had more space. Unfortunately, I did not have any luck in securing contact > >with the band.

>You should have posted earlier!  Al Bouchard (Brain Surgeons, ex-BOC) is

>a subscriber to the list :) and might have been able to say a few words.

Like I said, never posted on Listserv before. Never really figured out how to do it before. I knew this list existed (and in fact I remember that it was a Hawkwind/BOC list - there used to be a website that talked about the connections between the two bands - I'm a big fan of both) but I never checked it out before.

Tim Hall wrote:

Music Street Journal - Gary Hilll wrote:

>> Alright, onto the news that I was told I should post here. As some of

>>  you may or may not know Blue Oyster Cult uses a lot of literature in

>>  the themes to their lyrics. Amongst the authors whose work they draw

>> upon is Howard Phillips (or H. P.) Lovecraft. It is for this reason

>> that BOC gets several pages in my new book The Strange Sound of

>> Cthulhu - Music Inspired by the Writings of H. P. Lovecraft.

>Make sure you don't include Ümläüt, because the band were a fictitious

>creation for an online Call of Cthulhu game I was involved with a few

>years back.  I've had at least one person linking to the spoof webpage I

>created ( http://www.kalyr.com/umlaut ) thinking is was for a real band.

Gotta say I did not come across that "band." Also have to say that I love the name - you just don't get any more metal than that! I tried to get every actual Lovecraft connected artist I could in there, but I know that I missed some stuff - there's just no way to track down EVERYTHING. That said, I'm sure it's the most comprehensive grouping out there. There are whole chapters on progressive rock, punk, gothic and psychedelic rock. That last one even includes question and answers with two of the original members of the band H. P. Lovecraft. There are two chapters on heavy metal (there was just so much there). Several artists also have their own chapters, plus there's a miscellany one later (that's where BOC is - I've never really seen them as metal - although some of their songs certainly qualify).

Gary

Gary Hill

Author of the book The Strange Sound of Cthulhu -
Music Inspired by the Writings of H.P. Lovecraft
musicstreetjournal.com/cthulhubook.htm
lulu.com/strangesound

Music Street Journal
http://www.musicstreetjournal.com

Make us your first stop for Internet shopping at
http://musicstreetjournal.com/newshoppng.htm.  Bookmark it today.

Don't forget you can buy book compilations of many of our articles, items
with music and MSJ slogans and the MSJ Sampler CD Got Prog? at
http://www.cafepress.com/msjmerch

Ask us about direct sales through MSJ Direct, and a wide variety of artist
services through MSJ Productions. Check out MSJ Direct (look it over and
place an order) at http://www.musicstreetjournal.com/msjdirect.htm

Beet Cafe
http://www.beetcafe.com

Wormwood Chronicles