OFF: The Weller/Kilmister controversy

David Kuznick dkuznick at ALUMNI.BRANDEIS.EDU
Thu Dec 7 10:12:17 EST 2006

Quoting Ted Jackson <Tjackson at SYR.EDU>:

> Wasn't there a rumour concerning Copeland recording a bunch of
> Sommer's
> guitar solos 'cos he couldn't reproduce them satisfactorily in the
> studio?
> I just checked the Wikipedia entry, 'cos that's where I'd expect to
> find
> such gossip, but it's not mentioed.  Did anyone else ever hear this
> rumour?
>

> If anything, a guitarist would have trouble
> reproducing LIVE what he did in the studio
> using multiple takes.
>
> Think about it.  Does anyone think Fripp
> would choose to play with a guy who
> can't cut it at a recording session?

Though if anything, he holds people's performing abilities (and this is not just
a matter of how well one can play; it encompases a much larger set of things) to
even higher standards.  Trust me, I know. :-)  Though when going to record some
of the various League of Crafty Guitarists studio albums, you had to sit and
play your part for each song you were to play on, solo to the entire group,
perfectly before you were allowed to play on the recording.  Imagine what that
must be like...  You haven't lived as a musician until you have had Robert
Fripp standing/sitting right in front of you while you try to play something.
Suddenly, the C Major scale becomes more like Paganin's Moto Perpetuo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD8J0MHoslU

--
David Kuznick   dkuznickATalumni.brandeis.edu
"I am the storm that won't be calmed, I am the calm that follows.