Hawkwind political messages

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Wed Dec 13 05:58:28 EST 2006

Jonathan Jarrett writes:

> who would have thought that the man that wrote the words
> `Duplicate forms and ID cards / Are next in line to disregard' would
> have set up the Hawkwind Passport scheme?

Give free MP3 downloads with the State ID card and 90% of De Yoot will
have 'em in a trice.

> So I guess maybe `Hawkwind'
> politics is surer about who the enemies are and how we don't need them
> than what we could do instead. Which is certainly quite like some
> anarchists I know

That's the whole point of anarchy innit? Not prescribing what people
should do, but leaving them free to do what they want within the law?

> but doesn't really have the tyrannical `organise!
> organise! organise!' hardcore ethic of the real activists, more the
> `it'll all just work out somehow if we stop paying taxes to the Man
> because life is beautiful when people can stop and look at it'
> philosophy of the peacenik still.

Ummm. I'm for arming the populace for a polite society and I'm happy to
sa that we'd work it out somehow if we abolished The Man's means of
putting out the Tax Hat with menaces.

Not all of us anarchists are pacifists.

> 	As you can probably tell I'm too hung up to like either of these
> ethics much :-) But the music forgives the occasional naivete, I reckon.

I'd certainly rather bands got the music right than strove to be
politically correct.

FoFP