OFF: Freeedom of Speech

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Mon Feb 13 10:49:43 EST 2006

On 13/02/2006 15:42, M Holmes wrote:
> So yes, it was illegal, but those breaking the law had good cause to
> think they would not be prosecuted.

Yes.  I would only clarify that the "pretty clearly legal" things to
which I referred earlier were the Danish cartoons, not the English
incitements to commit crimes.  Inciting people to commit crimes is as
pretty clearly illegal.

Mind you, had I been the editor of the Danish newspaper, I might well
have decided running those cartoons might not be in the interests of the
business, regardless of my legal right to do so -- but I am not a
newspaper editor, not familiar with those sorts of issues, and so what I
might or might not have done is pretty irrelevant.  The only issue, I
think, is: were laws broken?  The answers seem, well, pretty clear.

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson