OFF: Freeedom of Speech

Roy G. Ovrebo bloody.peasant at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 13 11:16:44 EST 2006

Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:
> I don't entirely understand this (now somewhat convoluted) debate.
>
> Insofar as I am aware, no cartoon of Mohammed published in any
> European country of late has actually been published in violation
> of the laws of those countries.

Actually, the publication in Norway may (and I say _may_) have been
in violation of a long-asleep clause about blaspheming. That clause
was last invoked when Monty Python's Life of Brian was banned for a
few months when it first came out.

Curiously, the magazine that published those cartoons have an
editorial policy of wanting to keep blasphemy illegal. Evidently,
it only applies to religions they approve of themselves. They have
been sued over it now...

--
Roy