OFF: Freeedom of Speech

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Mon Feb 13 11:37:39 EST 2006

On 13/02/2006 16:16, Roy G. Ovrebo wrote:
> Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:
>> I don't entirely understand this (now somewhat convoluted) debate.
>> Insofar as I am aware, no cartoon of Mohammed published in any
>> European country of late has actually been published in violation
>> of the laws of those countries.
>
> Actually, the publication in Norway may (and I say _may_) have been
> in violation of a long-asleep clause about blaspheming. That clause
> was last invoked when Monty Python's Life of Brian was banned for a
> few months when it first came out.

Ah, well, if that turns out to be the case, that would be a different
issue there, then.  Though, in any case, I think it goes without saying
that the appropriate action to redress this kind of thing would be a
civil law suit, not embassy burning ....

> Curiously, the magazine that published those cartoons have an
> editorial policy of wanting to keep blasphemy illegal. Evidently,
> it only applies to religions they approve of themselves. They have
> been sued over it now...

Yes, well, the right-wing nationalists are indeed a little louder in
Denmark than I personally would like to see them being :/

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson