OFF: Freeedom of Speech

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Mon Feb 13 13:57:45 EST 2006

Paul Mather writes:

> > > And for the Christians to rein in theirs (*koff*Robertson*koff*)
> > > and for the Republicans to rein in theirs.

> > No argument from me on that one, though at least they're only saying
> > "Believe the world is only 6000 years old or we'll do more
> > line-dancing."

> Well, it might not have made the news in Blighty, but amongst the
> other whacky things Pat Robertson has spewed forth is a call for the
> Head of State of Venezuela to be assassinated by US Special Forces.

I caught that. Strangely I'd had the impression that the US had actually
passed a law against calling for the death of any head of state. Perhaps
the UK isn't the only country that's been letting religious loonies off
the hook when they've been doing this.

Of course in Scotland we've been fond of Mister Robertson ever since he
described us as "A dark land full of strong homosexuals". Perhaps it was the
kilt that scared him.

> (Having said that, it does sound to me more humane than being
> sentenced to a lifetime of line dancing.:)

Even Morgan Spurlock hasn't made anyone do that.

FoFP