tBS: more Denial of Death

blackblade at BHALLIGAN.COM blackblade at BHALLIGAN.COM
Thu Feb 16 12:34:57 EST 2006

Carl wrote:
> I think, overall, this is for me the best Brain Surgeons disc so far, so
> I'm comfortable in saying I think this is at least the best thing Al's
> worked on since _Imaginos_.

It's certainly the closest in sound he's been to Imaginos. I do agree DoD is the best Surgeons album, though my favorite is still Box of Hammers. Yes, there is a difference between best and favorite. ;-)

> I think I feel prepared to say
> _Denial of Death_ may well be the the best album Al's been involved with
> since early BOC.

Wow, that's a lot of flinching for one sentence. If you're going to dare, be daring. ;-) Still, I can understand the hesitation. There are some amazing albums between Secret Treaties and DoD, and I don't know if I would feel comfortable making that statement myself. Regardless, DoD is a brutally beautiful piece of work.

> (Actually, I wish the sound on the early BOC albums
> was as good as it is on Denial of Death :)

I agree, the overall sound is spectacular. Those guitars! And Al's drums have never sounded better-produced with the Surgeons.

Brian
obSong> "Plague of Lies"