OFF: Freeedom of Speech

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Sun Feb 19 21:00:02 EST 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 17:50 -0500, Alastair Sumner wrote:

> Freedom of thought and information is moving over to the Internet.

Next time, please give a bit of advance warning before you go and say
something hilarious like that.  I ended up spraying my cuppa all over my
keyboard when I caught a butchers at that one!

> >Alastair Sumner writes:
> >
> >> Anyone noticed how BBC Group-Think has started to call Mohammed...The
> >> Prophet Mohammed? As if they would ever call Jesus...The Lord Jesus.
> >> Too much deference towards an ethnic or religious group often strikes
> >> me as being an inverted form of racism prompted by fear.  That's the
> >> legacy of Political Correctness and Multiculturalism in the UK today.

I guess it's all in the perception.  When I read the above, my immediate
take was that they're just compensating for general audience ignorance
(who probably don't know Islam from Adam:); your take was Political
Correctness.  Who's to know?  I guess if they really wanted to toady out
of fear, they'd append "(peace be upon him)" after every mention of the
term "The Prophet Mohammed..." ;-)

What next, though, gripes that they're calling Burma Myanmar and Peking
Beijing these days?  Some people are just too sensitive...

Cheers,

Paul.
e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa