Hassan i sahba & MIDI & stuff

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Tue Jan 3 12:06:20 EST 2006

On 03/01/2006 15:29, Jade man wrote:
> Thanks for a very enjoyable cover of Hassan i sahba
> Very enjoyable indeed!
> Would you be interesting in swapping .mid files
> so I could have a go at playing this also?

Well, I don't actually have any MIDI for my Hassan I Sabha!  It's all
recorded in GarageBand with myself playing guitar and bass and audio
(rather than MIDI) loops and samples for everything else.  What I could
do is output WAVs or AIFFs (or whatever) on a track-by-track basis (i.e.
one file with the drums, another with the bass, another with guitar 1,
another with guitar 2, etc., etc.).  You could use those as the basis
for your own alternate version and could even carve them up in an audio
editor and push the bits all around.

Of course, you'll hear all the dodgy mistakes in the individual
instrument tracks that get covered up in the roar of the mix ;)

Anyway, I'm happy to make available anything I have to anyone who wants
it!  I can stick files on my web site for easy download.

> An online resource of midi cover music would be great.
> As we know the raw midi is jus the beggining of music,
> but is time consuming.

Ooo, yes indeed.  I haven't actually worked with genuine MIDI files much
(though my first home-recording experiement used MIDI drums stripped
from a MIDI file of Tull's "Teacher" :) but I find MIDI files very
useful as starting points for programming percussion.

My "Hassan" uses drum loops just because it's quick and easy to do so in
GarageBand (and actually it's kind of fun to see what you can do with
limited resources).  Otherwise, I use a little shareware drum machine
app for OS X (Doggiebox, in the unlikely event that anyone wants to
know, which can output MIDI, but not read in the percussion-oriented
bits from existing MIDI files.  However, I can always pop open the MIDI
file in some other app and read the drum-oriented bits.

I'd be psyched to see your Hawkwind-oriented MIDI, especially for the
drum angle.  Bizarrely, I've had a heck of a time trying to zoom in on
drum programming with a good blanga vibe; I just seem to have trouble
wrapping my head around how much Simon King was hitting everything!

(BTW, I saw the "Out of the Shadows" DVD the other week -- what I take
to have been a 5.1 mix was a little weird on my stereo TV, but hey --
and it totally reinforced my feel that Richard is a really tasteful
drummer.  He's really keeping it together up there! Wish I knew how he
did it :)

> I am hoping to redo my version of Steppenwolf at some time but I
> lost the midi for that. Also born to go and assault & B and wind of change
> sometime this century!

Ah, BtG and A&B!  Very tasty .....  "Hassan" is the first HW cover I've
actually recorded, but I sometimes think about doing "Magnu", "Psy
Power", or "Shot Down in the Night".

Cheers,
Carl

--